The Radically Authentic Prize for Trans & Non-binary Writers is published by Wayfarer Books.
At Wayfarer Books, we believe poetry is the language of the earth. We believe words, shaped like rivers through wild places, can change the shape of the world. We publish poets and writers and renegades who stand outside of mainstream culture—poets, essayists, and storytellers whose work might withstand the scrutiny of crows and coyotes, those who are cryptic and floral, the crepuscular, and the queer-at-heart. We are more than just a publisher but a community of writers. Our mission is to produce books that can serve as a compass and map to all wayfarers through wild terrain.
Eligibility & Guidelines
- This prize is open to those who identify within the Transgender, Non-binary, and Gender non-conforming spectrum.*
- There is a reading fee of $15 for our volunteer editorial staff.**
- This prize is open to works of poetry, creative nonfiction, memoirs, and essay collections. (No fiction, please.)
- Poetry manuscripts should be no more than 90 pages.
- Prose manuscripts should be no more than 50,000 words.
- A single author may submit multiple entries but each entry must be separate.
- To submit, the manuscript must be previously unpublished.
- A limited number of individual poems/excerpts may have appeared in print or online, but the author must hold sole rights to the work.
- Manuscripts must be in English and follow the Chicago Manual of Style guidelines.
- Please see our website for current deadlines.
- **Reading fee waivers are available for those with limited income. Write email@example.com
How are we defining "Transgender, Non-binary, and Gender non-conforming?"
We currently use the definitions as set forth by the HRC but are active participants in the evolution of language and identity. If you identify beyond the binary and do not see yourself represented below, please submit your work.
Transgender is an umbrella term for people whose gender identity and/or expression is different from cultural expectations based on the sex they were assigned at birth. Being transgender does not imply any specific sexual orientation. Therefore, transgender people may identify as straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc.
Non-binary is an identity embraced by some people who do not identify exclusively as a man or a woman. Non-binary people may identify as being both a man and a woman, somewhere in between or as falling completely outside of these categories. While many also identify as transgender, not all non-binary people do. Non-binary can also be used as an umbrella term encompassing identities such as agender, bigender, genderqueer, or gender fluid.
Gender non-conforming is an umbrella term referring to people who do not identify in a way that conforms to the traditional expectations of their gender, or whose gender expression does not fit neatly into a category. Some gender non-conforming people identify as non-binary, genderqueer, trans masculine, trans feminine, agender, bigender or other identities that reflect their personal experience. Some, but not all, gender non-conforming people identify as transgender.
Does the manuscript have to be about trans or/non-binary issues to qualify?
While we welcome all themes—especially those that highlight the experiences of marginalized communities—the material/themes of your entry do not need to be about the transgender/non-binary experience to be eligible.
The namesake of the Radical Authenticity Prize is rooted in the work of our Founder, Connor Wolfe (they/them). To learn more about Connor, follow them on Instagram @the_wild_wolfe
We look forward to reading your work.
— Wayfarer Books Editorial Staff